I want you to feel at home when you post a comment on any forum on my site. I don’t know what your home is like, but I know how I expect people to behave when they visit mine. That’s why I reserve the right to delete comments and ban users as needed to keep the comment threads here relevant and civil.
My No. 1 house rule is simple: Don’t be a muppet.
Want to be the kind of commenter I’d love to invite over for a Sunday barby? Here’s what I like to see in comments:
* Weigh in with smart, informed ideas that contribute further to the article.
* Give me useful, constructive criticism. Spot a typo or an error? Let me know and I will correct it.
* Demonstrate and share the intelligence, wisdom, and humour I know you possess.
* Don’t feed the trolls. You wouldn’t dive into a debate with myuneducated, drunk Uncle Arthur just for the hell of it. Downvote and flag comments instead.
* Don’t copy and paste. If you didn’t write it, or haven’t properly cited the article you are sharing or quoting then don’t post it.
* I currently only support English only discussions on my posts. If it is not in English then it will be removed.
Although I can’t be everywhere at once, here are some of the kinds of comments I am going to do my best to prevent:
* Promoting your own brand, product, or blog. So you’ve got a WordPress Tool that can also Time Travel. Great. Send it through to me, you Elon Musk, you.
* Impersonating authors or other commenters. I can’t believe I have to say this, but: Don’t do that. That’s just seriously f#$ked up.
* Comments that make it clear you didn’t read the article. Enraged that I didn’t mention link building in a story about off-page SEO? Slow down Speedy Gonzalas. If you’d made it past paragraph two, you’d see a very well thought-out discussion of that link building you hold so dear.
* Comments that are completely out of left field. Sometimes discussions veer off a bit, but are still related to the original subject. That is fine. Hijacking the conversation to promote off-topic commentary is not.
* Threats — no matter how vague — against the author or other commenters. Things can get heated. Before you casually mention your enemy’s home address, take a chill pill, think about the collective WordPress community, then kiss and make up. Okay… the kiss my stretching it but seriously, build a bridge and get over it.
* Racism, sexism, homophobia, you get the drift… call me the PC Police, fine, but don’t say I didn’t warn you when I open a can of whoopass. **And by ‘can of whoopass’, I mean banned or deleted. Please note… I have never, ever purchased a can of whoopass and if I ever did own a can of whoopass, it will be going straight to the pool room.
* Trolling. If you’re an ‘SEO is Dead’ or ‘WordPress isn’t true Web Design’ believer just out for a good trolling and are not contributing meaningfully to the conversation, I’ll be sending you back under the bridge.